Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Song vs. Gutierrez

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,700
  • Post Score: 46

09.15.2023 | 12:44 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
Bout   Info
Yadong Song   defeats   Chris Gutierrez   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Khalil Rountree Jr.   defeats   Anthony Smith   via KO/TKO, Uppercut-left Hook Combo   0:56 Round 3 of 3, 10:56 Total Bout Page
Nasrat Haqparast   defeats   Jamie Mullarkey   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:44 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tim Elliott   defeats   Sumudaerji   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   4:02 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
André Muniz   defeats   Jun Yong Park   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kevin Jousset   defeats   Kenan Song   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Hyun Sung Park   defeats   Shannon Ross   via KO/TKO, Liver Shot to Ground Strikes   3:59 Round 2 of 3, 8:59 Total Bout Page
Steve Garcia   defeats   Melquizael Costa   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   1:01 Round 2 of 3, 6:01 Total Bout Page
Luana Santos   defeats   Stephanie Egger   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tatsuro Taira   defeats   Carlos Hernandez   via KO/TKO, Left Hook to Ground Strikes   0:55 Round 2 of 3, 5:55 Total Bout Page
Talita Alencar   defeats   Rayanne Amanda   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 10

MarioSuperSmash
MarioSuperSmash
  • Predictions:  2,263  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  332
  • Post Score: 38

12.03.2023 | 7:53 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 445 Points   |   Tied for 2228th

Hopefully i can rebound on this card after that stinker i dropped last event. absolutely pathetic on my part

"Eat Sleep Gamble on fights 👊🏿👊🏿👊🏿"

77PK
77PK
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  98
  • Post Score: 229

12.03.2023 | 9:31 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1485th

No way somebody just compared Danaa Batgarel to Song Yadong
Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,600  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,417
  • Post Score: 151

12.03.2023 | 10:17 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 1377th

Yeah that's a wild comparison 
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,828  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,638
  • Post Score: 261

12.03.2023 | 10:44 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 847th

Only similarity is they’re both Chinese 

"Quack quack quack"

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  10,850
  • Post Score: 127

12.03.2023 | 11:33 PM ET

@DamienHandel420

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 2336th

Danaa is mongolian, not chinese.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,219  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,671
  • Post Score: 107

12.04.2023 | 12:50 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 295 Points   |   Tied for 3940th

@DamienHandel420 

You made it 10x worse saying that 😂😂👌

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,711  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  32,862
  • Post Score: 90

12.04.2023 | 1:07 AM ET

Breakdowns part 1

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 2841st

Park vs Ross 
Park KO RD 1

I really can’t believe shannon ross is getting yet another chance at the ufc. His dwcs fight was awesome but that did not warrant a signing & his two ufc fights have made that extremely clear. I knew ross was chinny but at least he was getting koed by powerful strikers, getting flatlined in 20 seconds by a 5”3 grappler is just pathetic. The ufc tried to give him a winnable fight against a grappler with no kos and he still managed to get koed worse than he ever has in under a minute. There’s literally nothing good I can say about shannon ross. I rewatched his dwcs fight just to see what happens when he doesn’t get nuked early, and I was very unimpressed. Ross has no idea how to move inside the cage, he would just try to circle away and let his opponent swarm him up against the fence. He continuously kept walking into Salvador's left hook and showed no head movement whatsoever. He didn’t once attempt a takedown or make any improvements on the fly, he just kept trying to swing and bang. He was just throwing telegraphed hooks and straights to salvador’s head while salvador mixed it up and beat the **** out of him. Park is pretty good but very green. Despite being knocked down twice on his way to the ufc, his striking is honestly pretty good. His technique is fantastic & when he lets his hands go he throws some really nice combos, however he is very timid. He does a lot of nothing & waits for an opening to counter strike. Luckily, Ross leaves so many openings anytime he does anything so I imagine park can at least score a knockdown. Park also has a bad habit of dropping his hands off of throwing leg kicks. I think ross is gonna be the one advancing while park stays out of danger and looks to counter. He does leave his chin up in the air, but so does ross and park has at least shown a good recovery where ross is a glass jaw. Where park is best is his grappling. He’s not an amazing wrestler but he does a good job of holding on to the bodylock. This allows him to swing to the back when he fails takedowns. He has shown good gnp and a good submission game on the ground. His back takes are especially good. Overall, I really like how methodical he is. Park takes his time and waits for his opponents to slip up so he can capitalize. The issue with this style is he will lose rounds by just not doing anything & he is sometimes too defensive that he falls behind. However, ross is so **** that I just can’t see a world where park doesn’t find a finish. Ross is going to come forward and deliver that chin on a platter so i will be shocked if park doesn’t find it at some point. Maybe this gets extended a little longer than normal since park fights at a slower pace but he will find the finish. 

Garcia vs Melk
Melk KO RD 1 

I don’t see this going any differently than I did before. I will say, I always hate when fighters have to cut weight twice in 2 weeks but I think it will hurt garcia worse than it will melk; plus the fight got cancelled before weigh ins so they should be pretty close to on weight. However, I think the two weight cuts is gonna be very bad for garcia; he is already very chinny from the amount of weight he has to cut & I don’t imagine its going to get better with back to back cuts. He was also sick on weigh ins (probably from the cut) so theres a good chance hes still not 100% healthy. Either way, I thought Melk was gonna win this before & I feel even more confident now. Garcia throws bombs and is massive for the weight class but his striking is very sloppy. He just spams 1-2’s down the middle and tries to use his size to just bully everyone. However, Melk is a pretty big 145er in his own right, on top of being a better striker. He uses his weapons more but also knows how to strike, where Garcia’s strategy is to bum rush in and try to get a finish. With how easily Garcia leaves his chin up in the air, and how he gets chinned literally in every fight, I don’t see how costa doesnt put him away. Unless Melk is compromised by cutting weight twice (even if he is, Garcia will also likely be affected) I think he is a lock here. 

Egger vs Santos 
Santos SUB RD 1

I feel pretty confident here. I can’t put much weight into santos’s debut because she fought miller but, I have been watching her outside the ufc for a while & have been very impressed with her. She is a judoka by trade but has fallen in love with her hands recently. Her striking isn’t pretty but she throws hard and has confidence on the feet. Her confidence alone gives her an advantage because having good striking is one of the easiest ways to beat egger. Egger has never really figured out striking and gets very uncomfortable when you pressure her on the feet. Santos has never shied away from throwing down so I think she will pressure egger from the get go. Egger also struggles when she can’t impose her grappling on her opponents. Being a good judoka in her own right, I think santos is going to be able to defend against egger’s throws and catch her in a submission. Santos does have a bad habit of giving her back up off of judo throws but I don’t think egger will be able to capitalize on that. I see santos swarming egger early and then 

Marcos vs Vera
Marcos KO RD 2

This is such a strange opponent choice. I get this was last minute but damn there wasn’t anyone at XC or Syndicate who could’ve stepped up? Vera was getting ready for a cffc fight so its not like hes coming off the couch but this guy just sucks. Hes 36 and is a fury fc can crusher. I will say, for fury fc he has fought some good comp but he is totally unproven and we saw his fight with katona was just plain awful. He fell victim to brad’s classic wall n stall & he just didn’t do anything for 15 minutes. His regional tape isn’t much better, he has skills but he is facing very low level competition. For example in his fight with caballero, he was getting taken down with ease but only won because his opponent kept making awful mistakes and was essentially taking himself down. Even then vera had moments where he got reversed because he is such a slow grappler; you can tell what hes gonna do a minute before he actually does it. His grappling skills are okay but not ufc level imo; he isn’t gonna be able to hold anyone down at the ufc level and he can’t wrestle to save his life. I will say, the grappling of marcos is wildly untested but I highly doubt vera is the one to expose that. In the striking this is just a complete mismatch. Vera comes from a taekwondo background & I will say he does have flashy kicks and good movement around the cage but he is very much a taekwondo fighter; what I mean by this is he has kicks and nothing else. He can’t box to save his life and has really bad defense; anytime someone tries to close the distance & box him, he looks so bad. He also dips his head a lot & someone like marcos who uses all of his limbs is gonna pick up on that. I glaze marcos a lot so you all know what I think of his striking but he is just so much better than vera its not even close. Outside of marcos pulling a stunt idk how he loses this fight. Vera’s record looks fine on paper but when you watch his fights, the guys hes fighting are so insanely low level & vera doesn’t even look good when beating them. He has only fought guys who willingly grapple him & willingly play into his distance striking game. Marcos’s grappling is unknown but he has shown enough at the ufc level that makes me confident he will avoid the exchanges, and he definitely has better fight iq than the cans vera has been fighting in fury; literally his last two wins are from his opponents grappling when they didn’t need to & fell right into guillotines. His striking is better than anything vera has ever seen & hes not gonna let vera work on the outside and spam kicks, marcos is gonna pressure him and find a ko.

Taira vs Hernandez 
Taira SUB RD 1
I think people are blowing taira’s last fight out of proportion. Just because he didn’t finish the guy and had some “oh ****” moments against a can doesn’t mean hes a fraud. People gotta look at the circumstances surrounding the fight; taira was on his third opponent, his second weight cut in as many weeks, and it was at 130 lbs which benefitted his opponent, a massive flyweight on short notice. And really, outside of two moments in the fight, chairez got his ass beaten from pillar to post. Taira got dropped off balance with a leg kick and then rocked with a punch but nothing came of it because he won the round with control and gnp. Then the only other moment chairez had was the guillotine, and that was due to taira getting lazy with his shot and not respecting the submission (chairez was pulling guillotine the whole fight). It was good to see him face some adversity though as taira has yet to face someone really good. Hernandez is a solid fighter but i really dont see him being able to do anything to taira. His striking is actually pretty clean but he has no power at all. This matters because even though he can land good shots, nothing he lands has a crazy effect. Taira’s striking is serviceable but if you can be aggressive and force him to think on his feet, then you will be able to give him issues. Standing at range striking, I give hernandez the advantage but taira should be able to hold his own. Hernandez is also pretty hittable so Taira should be able to land a good amount and he also has the power advantage. While he may not be so comfortable on the feet, when he is able to land clean he has a ton of power. However, taira is going to win this fight like he always does, with his grappling. Hernandez is a decent grappler but not good enough to beat taira. His offensive wrestling is bad and his defense is mediocre. He does a great job of scrambling and getting back to his feet but taira will be able to get his back or drag him down easily. This should be light work, i would be very shocked if taira doesn’t finish this in a round.

Dos santos vs Alencar 
Dos Santos DEC
Man what a ****y fight this is; essentially just two dwcs rejects fighting. Alencar is just a worse jacqueline amorim. She comes from a high level bjj background but, she is too small for the weight class (should be at 105), is too one dimensional, and only has 7 minutes of cardio. Her grappling is good enough that she can take the first two rounds if she gets the takedown. However, due to her bad cardio she starts to make a lot of mistakes on the ground & can be reversed pretty easily. She is aggressive with her striking which I like but she is way too wild and can’t strike well at all. When her cardio starts to fade she just becomes a total mess. Now dos santos is better than her but still pretty low level. She got on dwcs last year and had a pretty fun fight where she came up short to denise gomes. Despite losing she showed some talent; she showed good cardio and a very good chin as we know how hard gomes hits. Dos santos is a career atomweight but she can fight at 115 no problem; shouldn’t make much of a difference here though since alencar should also be at 105. I was never really that impressed with her previous performances. She was an okay kickboxer with a good submission game but shes only really fought cans. However, she looked really improved against decoursey in her last fight. Still not very good but enough improvements that I think she can beat alencar. One thing I dislike about dos santos is her volume; she literally throws nothing and prefers to counter punch. Her volume shouldn’t be an issue here since alencar has nothing to offer her plus she will rush in to try and clinch, leaving herself open to be tagged. Dos santos has very basic kickboxing skills btu that is more than enough here. What worries me is the grappling. Dos santos has shown some solid grappling skills but I worry that she will try and play off of her back if alencar gets her down. Dos santos can defend well against the cage but can’t wrestle well out in the open. I don’t think alencar will sub her but I could see dos santos losing a round or even two just by laying on her back. However, I think dos santos will avoid most of the grappling and will win striking. I wouldn’t be totally shocked if we even see a finish; dos santos throws hard and alencar has no cardio on top of taking thia fight on a weeks notice. 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.04.2023 | 1:12 AM ET

part 2

Haqparast vs Mullarkey 
Haqparast DEC 

This is the hardest fight for me to call; both these guys are so mid in my opinion. Haqparast actually has some good wins but every time hes faced someone in the top 15 hes gotten completely dominated. His performances against everyone else are wildly inconsistent, usually very close fights due to haqparast being limited in his skillset. Haqparast is pretty much just a boxer. His best weapon is his overhand right and his jab. He throws at a pretty high clip but we’ve seen that the upper level guys just dominate him. Haqparast has pretty good defense, both in striking and in wrestling. He works the body well and i really like his work in the pocket. Haqparast has a lot of power but he stopped being a finisher once he got to the ufc. Even when he hurts guys in the ufc they usually recover.Haqparast really struggles against people who throw a lot of leg kicks or just mix kicks into their arsenal. We saw this affect him very badly against landon quinones. Haqparast did win every round but they were a lot closer than they should’ve been & landon really brought it to him despite being a huge underdog. Landon may be better than we all gave him credit for but struggling like that against a green debutant shows the holes in Nasrat’s game. Of course, for every issue I have with Nasrat, theres a million more bad things to say about Mullarkey. I used to be decently high on mullarkey but he has regressed badly these past few years. He has always been a brawler but he has hit a wall as of late. At his best, mullarkey is a rangy brawler with ko power. He uses leg kicks and a jab at range and swings bombs when he gets up close. Mullarkey also has decent wrestling but is inconsistent in using it. Ever since losing to turner, Mullarkey has yet to have a good showing. He went to war with michael johnson (not aging well) and won a pretty bad decision. After that fight, he has shied away from his brawling style and has tried a more technical approach. I can understand why he would want to change his style but fighting technical doesn’t work for mullarkey. He has his moments, but he can’t stay perfect for 15 minutes and makes too many mistakes. He was able to outpoint prado but he looked awful against naimov and makdessi. Aaginst naimov, he was in control but looked bad as he was only wrestling and scared to strike. In the second round he did the worst footwork/head movement I think ive ever seen and walked directly into a bomb. Against makdessi he tried to fight technical get again & gave makdessi the exact fight he wanted. He “lost” pretty clearly, mostly just throwing impactless leg kicks and body shots while  makdessi jabbed him up the whole fight. Nasrat is not the most technical fighter but he at least keeps his composure in firefights and doesn’t waste any movements. Mullarkey will brawl if you force him to but he seems to shy away from that style now. I think mullarkey has a chance, especially since he mixes shots to the body and legs while also being taller than nasrat. However, its so hard to back him at this point because he is looking worse and worse each fight. Its also important to note this will be his 4th fight (5th fight camp this year) this year, so not only has he been looking bad, but hes been taking a lot of damage and still fighting. I think we could see that wear and tear start to show itself badly in this fight, as we’ve already seen some of it in his last few. 

Muniz vs Park 
Park KO RD 2

Muniz is such a fraud. He was able to pull off a crazy winstreak due to good matchmaking but he has been figured out. Muniz is pretty good when he is able to implement his gameplan but the second he faces resistance he totally falls apart. Muniz’s bjj looks really scary on paper but hes not some wizard on the mat. His transitions to armbars are very dangerous but his control isn’t that great. In fact, when people start to resist him he will tire out and make mistakes. The only person hes really had success holding down for the whole fight was uriah hall, but hall is a master of doing nothing in the cage. Muniz’s striking is pretty bad but his large frame helps him a lot. He can keep the distance with his kicks and punches but he is very uncomfortable when you bring the fight to him. Muniz has a powerful blast double but his wrestling is not very good, he won’t chain wrestle and once you defend the first couple of shots he will panic. We’ve seen in his last two fights that he gives up whenever you get him tired. Allen defended muniz’s takedowns and beat him up on the feet until he gassed out and allowed brendan to dominate him with grappling. When muniz gets tired, he just allows himself to get reversed so he can play guard. He did this against paul craig as well, conceding an easy takedown after questionably headbutting craig from top control, which lead to him getting gnp’d. That fight was a really bad look, not only because he lost to glass cannon paul craig but because he just quit the second craig showed resistance to his grappling. Once craig started to mix in takedowns of his own Muniz just totally panicked & his cardio disappeared. Park has a lot of flaws but I think he is a nightmare for muniz because he is good at everything muniz sucks at. The main thing here is cardio; park will push a crazy pace and doesn’t slow down. He will turn fights into a brawl if he needs too & his output is always very high. Park can be taken down but he is a pretty good grappler and very hard to hold down. Muniz may be able to get takedowns early but i trust park enough that he can avoid the armbar early. Park has only really been subbed by people who have broken him down like shavkat and fluffy but, quite obviously, muniz has neither the skill of shavkat or the grinding wrestling of fluffy so I don’t see him subbing park. He may be able to take a round off with control but the longer this goes the longer it favors park. I really like how park likes to get in the phonebooth & throw down. That style alone is going to make muniz very uncomfortable as he is going to have to think on his feet & it takes away his reach advantage. Park has struggled with rangy strikers in the past (ugly man joe was touching him up) but Muniz can’t deal with pressure. Im sure muniz will be able to land early but he is not going to be able to match park’s pace longer than a round. Park also likes to grapple himself, especially cranking submission attacks so if he can even attack once, its really going to tire out muniz. Park may lose early on but i think he is going to break down muniz and finish him. I will say i am worried about park doing something like pulling guillotine in round 1. I don’t mind if he loses a round because I don’t think this is going the distance but pulling guillotine puts him in a bad position that he just doesn't need to be in. He is good enough to survive muniz’s grappling but I only want him to grapple if he is the one on top. 

Kenan vs Jousset 
Kenan DEC 

I was baffled by the opener for this fight; I get kenan isn’t amazing but what on earth has kevin jousset done to warrant being -225 over anyone? I wasn’t overly impressed with his debut and its not like he beat anyone notable, crosbie is a can and shouldn’t be in the ufc. He did dominate but he showed some holes in his stirking that concern me here. While his kickboxing looked much improved, jousset was very rigid in his stance and wasn’t moving his head at all. He was taking the shots well but he was begging to get koed with the lack of head movement. His jab was pretty sharp and he showed some good kicks from range but he didn’t look overly comfortable. These holes showed in his most recent loss to rideout as well. It was a pretty competitive technical striking match but jousset was pretty lost by the leg kicks and the weirdness of rideout. He was able to land a lot with his jab and kicks but his lack of head movement had him losing most of the exchanges. His fights outside the ufc arent much better. He is a pretty technical striker but nothing he throws has any impact and he fights in a sparring pace. Kevin is also just as stiff as he is in his other fights; idk if it will happen here but he is going to get ktfo at some point in the ufc. Song on the other hand is way better than ive given him credit for. He is a little chinny and doesn’t have great defense but his striking is very good. He has a lot of power and really crisp kickboxing. He does miss a lot with his strikes but whenever he lands it has a bug impact. I don’t think he will miss as much here because jousset is going to be standing in front of him and presenting a target. I think kenan’s left hook and head kick will be there all day. However, he is just as susceptible to jousset’s jab and leg kicks. The difference (i’m hoping) is the power of kenan, I think he will be able to take jousset’s punches and dish out the more damaging strikes (maybe even get a knockout). Song’s wrestling isn’t great but he has improved it a lot recently. He can be taken down & has shown a weakness to judo throws before, but jousset really doesn’t use his judo much offensively; training at CKB has him using his hands a lot more. Overall I think this is a close fight but I think the power and experience of song is gonna win him this fight

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.04.2023 | 1:13 AM ET

part 3

Yadong vs Gutierrez 
Yadong KO RD 2

El guapo is a good striker so song is getting a favorable matchup, but I think song is a level above gutierrez. Gutierrez is a very clean, technical striker but he has a lot of holes in his game. He does his best when his opponents stay in the middle and play into his technical chess match. Chris’s main goal is to pick you apart with his leg kicks but he also has a decent jab. He is very good at mixing in flying knees as he doesnt telegraph them. He also has very good footwork, constantly moving and switching up stances & angles. There are three main areas to Chris's game where he is lacking: boxing, wrestling, and pressure. Chris is a heavy kicker and prefers to stay in the middle of the cage because he can’t box very well. He has some decent punches but guys who are good in the pocket give him hell. Chris has solid takedown defense but he is yet to really face a good wrestler. Even then, we’ve seen that he can be taken down and is pretty bad form the bottom. He has decent grappling defense but no get up game. Finally, he doesn’t deal well with pressure because he has poor boxing and is very uncomfortable up against the fence. Unfortunately for him, hes facing a boxing heavy striker who loves a good brawl, and is improving his wrestling each fight. Song’s boxing is insanely good and its only getting better each fight. I worry about the leg kicks as song is susceptible to them but I think he will find a finish before they really start to add up. Song will pressure chris and the boxing in this fight simply isn’t close. The power difference here is pretty crazy; chris has pretty much no ko power where song is one of the hardest hitters in the weight class. Song is very durable as well so I don’t think he is going to respect chris’s striking at all. Song is a striker but his wrestling is improving each fight that I wonder if he will mix it in here. He has a big wrestling advantage & some takedown feints would go a long way in this fight; if he gets chris thinking about a takedown early thats going to really give him issues later in the fight. I think song is gonna dominate here. 

Smith vs Rountree 
Smith SUB RD 1

I know this sounds crazy but I really weirdly feel an upset coming here. I know everyone loves khalil & it is fun watching him sleep everyone, but I can’t ignore how bad his level of competition is. If you take away the jacoby robbery, Khalil’s last good win was 6 years ago against paul craig I know he is getting cool highlights but look at who hes beating: chris daukaus down a weight class on a 3 fight KO L streak, Karl roberson, modestas bukaukaus, etc. Khalil looks like a world beater at times but he has historically shat the bed at every step up hes faced. His worst showing ever was when he managed to lose against marcin prachnio. Prachnio’s weird stance and the leg kicks had khalil frozen. He couldn’t track him and when he did land he wouldn't follow up at all. When he fought dustin i noticed that khalil’s footwork looked awful; he was chasing jacoby the whole time and was so flat footed. He wasn’t sitting down on any shots and was just walking forward throwing his hooks. His explosiveness and power helped him a lot but I was very unimpressed with his technique in that fight. He also gassed himself out in round 2 by missing on all these hooks that he was just spamming at full power. I also didn’t realize how hittable rountree is; his chin is solid but he takes a lot of punches in his fights. 50% striking defense is not good. Now, smiths is actually worse but its not like khalil is untouchable. All bad things aside, when Khalil shows up he looks great. He has powerful leg kicks, insanely explosive punches, and he uses a lot of unorthodox techniques. My only issue is that he has consistently shown when he faces top 15 level competition that he doesnt have what it takes. He can be competitive but his skillset is lacking. Now smith is weird; i’ve always been very harsh on him & while he is extremely flawed, he is still a solid gatekeeper. There is a lot I dislike about him but at the end of the day, hes been ranked in the top 10 for years and has a well rounded skillset. One thing that always throws me off about smith is his losses; any time he faces someone higher than the top 10, he gets beaten within an inch of his life. Not just loses, but he gets outclassed & takes an insane amount of damage. However, the guys he’s lost to over the past 6 years were all top 5, champions, or title contenders. Then, anytime he faces someone below him, he teaches a vet lesson. Anthony is a pretty decent striker but his problem is just his defense. Anthony really has no defense and relies on his toughness to get him through. He somehow can’t check a leg kick despite having almost 60 fights (a very big concern here because khalil is a leg kicker) and he is insanely chinny (very hard to get out of there but man his body has the worst reactions to being hit ever). Smith’s kickboxing is solid, despite not knowing how to check kicks, he has really good leg kicks of his own. His boxing is also pretty good & he has a killer jab. I think smith’s jab is going to be money here; he sticks it out a few times and its going to have khalil second guessing everything. We saw when jacoby got his jab going, Khalil was completely frozen. My worry here is can Smith avoid getting finished? I have no doubts he can outpoint khalil as long as he needs to but he is so chinny it only takes one shot, plus the leg kicks are always going to be an issue. If smith decides to grapple I think he will easily win; khalil has never been a good grappler and smith has some of the better bjj in the division. However, Smith rarely ever has a grappling heavy gameplan so trying to rely on him to fight smart is a terrible idea. Im not confident because smith is very beatable and has a low fight IQ, but i do think he has enough skills to beat khalil. 

Sumudaerji vs Nascimento 
Nascimento SUB RD 1

Considering this fight was booked to be in china, its pretty crazy that the ufc matched these two up. You’d think they would want to match Su up against a striker but instead they are giving him his worst possible matchup. It also doesn’t help that I think nasicmento is one of the more underrated fighters at 125; he is a massive flyweight and basically a 125 do bronx. He brings that famed chute boxe pressure on the feet and has incredibly high level grappling. Regardless of his opponent, Su doesn’t belong in the top 15 & hasn’t belonged for a long time. He is one of those guys who managed to survive the flyweight purge and got ranked purely due to winstreak. His wins are against three of the worst ufc fighters of the past decade and his hilariously bad grappling has cost him in both his losses. I’ve already **** on Su a lot but I don’t think hes bad, hes just nowhere near top 15 level. Some things I like about him are his size and his striking. He isn’t huge weight wise but he has a very long frame for the weight class; 72 inch reach at flyweight is crazy. His striking is pretty sick too, the issue is his grappling sucks and he doesn’t know how to maintain distance so he can be bullied to the fence easily. But, when he is allowed to do his thing his striking is very crisp. He has great power for a flyweight and his hands are very quick. His elbows are by far his best weapon on the feet; against matt schnell he was basically flash koing him with every strike that landed. Its funny watching his tape because Su does the right things for takedown defense and he isn’t clueless on the mat either. However, the problem is su has no idea how to get back up so once he is down hes forced to grapple & his grappling simply isn’t good enough against the top 15 guys. I know it was years ago and he has improved since then but it was so concerning to watch smolka toy with him on the mat. His fight iq is also terrible, as awesome as the schnell fight was, he could have easily won that fight multiple times but gassed himself out when all he needed to do was take his time & he could've brutally slept schnell. He also won’t stand up when he gets top control; both his ufc losses he was on top and got finished from the bottom, again showing his questionable grappling iq. I favor Su standing but I honestly dont think the striking gap is all that wide. Yeah, Su is lengthy, fast, and powerful but Nasicmento can 100% hang on the feet. Most people dont realize Nascimento went 3 insanely hard rounds mostly standing up against Paiva & was robbed. He gets hit a lot but he makes it ugly and pushes at an insane pace. Nasicmento gets right up in your face and throws with bad intentions. Su cannot deal with pressure at all, even midget adashev was landing bombs when he got Su to the cage in round 2. I also noticed su constantly has his hands down & his defense is terrible; especially when the fighting gets intense, then he loses all composure and goes out swinging. Nasicmento does get hit a lot but he can take a punch and his technique is good. His best weapon is his front kick, Nascimento loves to throw it up the middle & hes hurt a bunch of people with it. Nasicmento is not a great wrestler but his bjj is so good he can pull guard or jump on the back to initiate grappling. He may struggle to get Su down, as Su’s wrestling isn’t terrible but he makes enough mistakes that I think Nascimento will find a way. If not, Su is low iq enough that Nasicmento can probably bait him into grappling with him. Either way, I think Nasicmento is going to make light work here. 

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,219  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,671
  • Post Score: 107

12.04.2023 | 2:23 AM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise 

Calling Rayanne a DWCS "reject" is aggressive.

She lost a close scrap with Denise Gomes; who has proven she is levels above MOST women in her division and Dos Santos went out there last fight and put a literal master class on the former Invicta champ.

A 50-45 beating where the former champion couldn't even touch her practically for 25 mins.

* Edited at 12.04.2023, 2:28 AM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

Griffo420
Griffo420
  • Predictions:  482  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  122
  • Post Score: 162

12.04.2023 | 3:29 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 370 Points   |   Tied for 3309th

Love me a Song Yadong fight week, was confident in his bout with Ricky Simon he will be getting the job done this weekend also! 
hyp3mma
hyp3mma
  • Predictions:  10,661  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  801
  • Post Score: 94

12.04.2023 | 3:47 AM ET

Prediction Comments

dos Santos vs. Alencar
Rayanne dos Santos, TKO, R2
How is this close ?

gliese58i
gliese58i

12.04.2023 | 3:55 AM ET

I think Park is winning but I bet Muniz at +200.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

gliese58i
gliese58i

12.04.2023 | 3:56 AM ET

@Griffo420

I would hope you're confident in Song here if you were confident in him vs Ricky!

Odin25
Odin25
  • Predictions:  188  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: -30

12.04.2023 | 4:28 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 1830th

Muniz vs. Park
Jun Yong Park, DEC
This card has lots of one-sided fights, but the last fight night hurted me with unexpected results. I'm confident in Turtle though, he's skilled and so likeable

Griffo420
Griffo420

12.04.2023 | 5:25 AM ET

@gliese58i 
I have to agree with that logic also haha just wish was a more interesting matchup for him
Griffo420
Griffo420

12.04.2023 | 6:43 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Song vs. Jousset
Kenan Song, TKO, R2
Underdog pick of the week, after saying Stoltzfus was a good dog last week and not hitting it I won't make the same mistake!

GAROVAL23
GAROVAL23
  • Predictions:  1,002  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  81
  • Post Score: 77

12.04.2023 | 8:21 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 3288th

The odds of lionheart are so big, the fight is close
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.04.2023 | 8:29 AM ET

@crimson idk she beat a 6-4 atomweight, that’s not really impressive to me. Rayanne had a big size advantage as she is not an atomweight and decoursey was never that good to begin with. And losing a decision to Gomes doesn’t impress me either. Gomes isn’t good she is just an aggressive brawler who throws heat 

She will probably look good here because alencar is a horrible fighter but I have my doubts she’s gonna succeed in the ufc

* Edited at 12.04.2023, 8:30 AM ET *

Ezbrees99
Ezbrees99
  • Predictions:  1,297  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: -69

12.04.2023 | 8:34 AM ET

WoBBLD.com

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 3598th

Early PREDICTIONS OUT NOW! 
A moderator has publicly marked this as inappropriate. Please be respectful on Tapology otherwise suspensions may be levied.

Page 10

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 302 post-event facts: Islam Makhachev joins exclusive club with 14-fight winning streak
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Better or worse? UFC 302 winners grade the new UFC gloves
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland breaks down armbar finish of Michal Oleksiejczuk at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Jailton Almeida wants UFC main event fight vs. Ciryl Gane in Paris: 'I can see myself finishing him'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch epic promo for UFC 303: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler
  • Jits Magazine : Tainan Dalpra Diqualified From IBJJF World Championship 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Dustin Poirier after UFC 302 title loss?
  • MMAFighting.com : Kevin Holland ‘heard the pop’ during nasty arm break on Michal Oleksiejczuk at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Can Still Compete With These Guys’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Today Islam grew a lot': Khabib Nurmagomedov praises Makhachev's performance at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Frustrated Paulo Costa vows to bring back old style after UFC 302 loss: ‘F*ck points or conserving energy’
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Islam Makhachev after UFC 302 title defense?
  • MMA Mania : Mak Reacts To White’s P4P Demotion
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland vows to wait ‘as long as it takes’ for title shot after UFC 302, slams inactive fighters
  • MMA Junkie : If Dustin Poirier doesn't retire, ex-champ Alexander Volkanovski wants 'a little dance' after UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski calls for ‘massive fight’ with Dustin Poirier after UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland plans to wait for UFC title shot: 'I f*cking paid my f*cking dues'
  • Middle Easy : Alexander Volkanovski Calls Out Dustin Poirier For A ‘Massive’ Fight While Waiting For Featherweight Title Shot
  • MMA Mania : Hot Mic: Khabib Tells Trump ‘Stop The War’