Topic: UFC 296

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,700
  • Post Score: 46

06.01.2023 | 10:16 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 296
  • Saturday 12.16.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $9,300,000
  • Attendance: 19,039
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Leon Edwards   defeats   Colby Covington   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Royval   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Shavkat Rakhmonov   defeats   Stephen Thompson   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:56 Round 2 of 3, 9:56 Total Bout Page
Paddy Pimblett   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Emmett   defeats   Bryce Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   1:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Dustin Jacoby   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Karol Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Brian Kelleher   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   3:42 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ariane Lipski   defeats   Casey O'Neill   via Submission, Armbar   1:18 Round 2 of 3, 6:18 Total Bout Page
Tagir Ulanbekov   defeats   Cody Durden   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:25 Round 2 of 3, 9:25 Total Bout Page
Andre Fili   defeats   Lucas Almeida   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   3:32 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Shamil Gaziev   defeats   Martin Buday   via KO/TKO, Elbows and Punches (standing TKO)   0:56 Round 2 of 3, 5:56 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 25

Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.13.2023 | 8:57 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

I warned everyone about Garry, I know his type irl. Don't be surprised if he gets beat this weekend.

* Edited at 12.13.2023, 8:58 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 6 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 2 minutes from now.
spiderdijon
spiderdijon
  • Predictions:  528  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  92
  • Post Score: 137

12.13.2023 | 8:59 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 3 Winners, 0 Perfect, 150 Points   |   Tied for 6013th

any confirmation about Ian pulling out aside from Chael?

"Come over here and sit on my knee and finish your orange juice."

SevenLakerSeth
SevenLakerSeth
  • Predictions:  4,753  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,192
  • Post Score: 144

12.13.2023 | 9:01 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 1263rd

got leon at -130 over a week ago. 
Calfoth
Calfoth
  • Predictions:  3,429  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,973
  • Post Score: 171

12.13.2023 | 9:10 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 765th

@Kniferusty 
now Garry’s out, you shouldn’t have jinxed it bro 

"POUND FOR POUND, HEADSHOT, DEAD - Leon Edwards "

Sidomavicius
Sidomavicius
  • Predictions:  1,126  |  70.4%
  • Forum Posts:  339
  • Post Score: 184

12.13.2023 | 9:28 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 2813th

Now that media day no show from Garry makes perfect sense. Along with the weird "hes got every intention of attending the press conference" 

huh??

"Kindness is a universal language regardless of age, nationality or religion” — Sir Alex Ferguson"

UncleSocrates
UncleSocrates
  • Predictions:  1,094  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  188
  • Post Score: 177

12.13.2023 | 9:28 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 563rd

Edwards vs. Covington
Leon Edwards, TKO, R4
All over Rocky here. Colby stylistically has a great matchup, his path is obvious which is pace and wrestling. That being said he hasn't fought in 2 years and he hasn't fought the continued level of competition that Leon has. Leon has been active and winning for years and is looking to be at the peak of his game rn. Can we say the same about Colby? Leon will have extreme success on the feet here, he is took sharp, technical, and quick for Colby to deal with. And his defensive wrestling has only kept improving over his past few fights. I think Colby 100% wins some rounds via cardio and chain wrestling but Leon will stack on the damage and eventually find a later finish here

Pantoja vs. Royval II
Alexandre Pantoja, SUB, R2
Love Panto here, we saw how this fight went two years ago and I don't see much changing. Imo Royval's chance is to catch Panto with some crazy sub or knee or something like that, he is very dangerous in that sense. But Pantoja's chin is iron, his striking is very servicable, and he might be the best in the world at taking the back. He'll take it in this one and sink in the choke.

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R2
So ******* excited for this fight. We know what both of these guys bring to the table, and I honestly have a weird feeling Wonderboy might find a way but my logic tells me Shavkat all the way here. It will be a tough fight for Shavkat standing, especially on the outside, but his grappling is elite and will take over when he can close the distance. Although Wonderboy hasn't been subbed I think Shavkat is a different animal and will take his back and finish the fight. Another interesting piece is that Wonderboy has been training for almost 8 months now not knowing when his next fight would be after the Pereira pull out, did he overtrain himself or will he look as sharp as ever...

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Paddy Pimblett, DEC
Tony man... I pray he can just land a heavy shot and find a knockout somehow bc I think it's his only way to win. Power is definitely still there but honestly as hittable as he is Paddy's chin has been very good. He sorta just walks through the fire. I think he'll have success wrestling here but really don't see a finish.

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R2
The scenes if Vicente chins Garry would be phenomenal, but I sadly don't see it. Luque is very solid everywhere and has soo much experience, but I think Garry's speed and movement win him the fight here. I think he keeps this one at range and counter punches for the most part and even though Luque has been practically unfinishable I think he finds the chin via a slick counter and finishes Luque. TKO.

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Bryce Mitchell, SUB, R2
Razor close one here, as a betting man I would definitely have an Emmet slip here because this seems closer to PK for me. Emmet's obviously path to winning is knocking Bryce's head off his shoulders here, which is very possible, and Emmet has pretty solid wrestling. But I still think Bryce gets him down and mauls him from top. Emmet is very strong and compact but he has been taken down when people have shot on him, I rate Bryce's grappling very highly and think he finds his success through that. Have to remember that Emmet was also preparing for a polar opposite fight with Giga before he pulled out.

Aldana vs. Rosa
Irene Aldana, DEC
Not sure why the tapology pick spread is so large here, honestly have been contemplating taking Rosa here after watching Aldana have literally zero output in her fight vs Amanda but at the end of the day Rosa's strength of schedule does not impress me and I don't see her having much of a path to victory. Rosa is durable though so I would be surprised to see her get finished.

Garbrandt vs. Kelleher
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R2
I think this is a nice fight for Cody and Kelleher is the tailor made opponent for him. No quit in Kelleher and will always keep the pressure but I think Garbrandt will be far quicker, will be able to negate Kelleher's wrestling, and will find the chin. If Cody doesn't win this it's time to have the conversation.

O'Neill vs. Lipski
Casey O'Neill, DEC
O'Neill has fought tougher competition in my opinion and will have the strength advantage. See her winning a decision here.

Menifield vs. Jacoby
Dustin Jacoby, TKO, R1
I like Jacoby here, Menifield is a monstrous human and has nuclear power in his hands but I think Jacoby's movement and precision will give Alonzo problems here. Jacoby is calculated and powerful and I think he will quickly accumulate damage on Menifield and eventually finish him. Menifield could obviously chin Jacoby or even have success making the fight dirtier in the clinch but I like this Jacoby spot

Ulanbekov vs. Durden
Tagir Ulanbekov, DEC
Another interesting fight I'm looking forward to, I'm a fan of Durden and he has been on a really solid run as of recent. That being said I think this is a tough matchup for Durden, I see him doing the most of the offensive wrestling and Tagir has very good takedown defense and ground game in general. Tagir is going to stuff Cody's takedowns and will have the advantage on the feet, I see him taking this by decision with a possible submission if Cody leaves his neck out when shooting

Fili vs. Almeida
Andre Fili, DEC
Really tough one here, Fili throws very loopy but it is actually effective where Almeida has power and throws everything pretty straight. Fili should wrestle here if he wants to have his easiest path to winning and I'm siding with him doing that but Almeida is a live dog at +155

Gaziev vs. Buday
Shamil Gaziev, TKO, R2
This is an interesting one, Gaziev is a solid hw prospect and has finishing ability everywhere but gassing out in the later rounds could be an issue. Buday on the otherhand is more experienced, can fight for 3 rounds, but has little finishing ability an honestly just fights a bit labored. Could see Gaziev getting fraud checked and outworked in the later rounds but going to side with him to get a gnp ko here. I think he has success wrestling and the power discrepancy will show.

Brown vs. Salikhov
Randy Brown, DEC
Salikhov will not be able to JDM his way inside against Brown and will get peppered at ranged, Rudeboy keeps this one at distance and takes a decision

"."

Bling Bling Boy
Bling Bling Boy
  • Predictions:  12  |  41.7%
  • Forum Posts:  40
  • Post Score: -127

12.13.2023 | 9:30 PM ET

Emmett - Mitchell

Emmett TKO R3
What happens when Bryce can’t hold or even get Emmett down? Emmett is no topuria but he has good TDD, cracking overhands n is stronger n shorter. Bryce sure as hell ain’t hitting a double leg on a 5’5 Emmett. Single leg? Trips? I doubt it. Emmett knows what to expect. The blueprint to beat Bryce is out. Defend TDs n ******* PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE. I respect Bryce as a man but he loses this one. Decision or KO, it don’t matter. Bryce at -200 is nuts. Emmett literally just has to box Bryce n he’ll win. Bryce’s striking is almost a mirror of Ryan Hall’s. Don’t get me started. Bryce’s whole game plan is to maybe get lucky with a front kick, distract you a bit with pillow fists then shoot for a single leg. Stuff a couple of those n you got a gassed, sloppy striker who knows he needs the TD. Remember Rosas Jr. - Crod?? Once Bryce gasses, it’s a wrap. 

"20$ is 20$"

Bling Bling Boy
Bling Bling Boy

12.13.2023 | 9:42 PM ET

Edwards - Covington

Covington TKO R4
HEAR ME OUT! So Leon is actually one of my fav fighters n I was gonna bet him before based off emotion n bias, BUT I stopped thinking with my cawk. I rewatched Edwards - Usman 3. What stands out the most is the difference between Colby’s pressure n wrestling compared to Usman’s. Usman is very flat footed n just walks you forward to the fence. He relies heavy on the fence but Colby doesn’t, Colby isn’t flat footed. Colby will blitz in for singles etc. my point is that Leon was just able to use lateral movement n leg kicks to keep usman at bay for a lot of the fight. I don’t think he can do that with Colby. I think a big difference is that Colby will shoot off a caught kick etc n fast. I don’t think Edwards is ready for the speed of the TDs n timing. He’s obviously trained for a wrestler but I think there’s a big difference between Colby n usman wrestling. I think once Colby gets Edwards’s down, he’ll absolutely maul on him with GnP. I think an Edwards high kick is literally not gonna happen. I think at best Edwards snipes Colby coming in with a 2, but unfortunately I see Colby destroying my boy. I’m rooting for Leon but I can’t bet on him. GL thinking Leon can win a Dec. I highly doubt it especially with the politics of judging if it goes the distance. But Colby also said he wanted to finish him so we’ll see. 

"20$ is 20$"

ExpertAnalyst
ExpertAnalyst
  • Predictions:  577  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  60
  • Post Score: 58

12.13.2023 | 10:23 PM ET

Leon Edwards vs Colby Covington

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 4482nd

@Bling Bling Boy 
I am picking Colby but he didn't do anything to Usman with his wrestling so his wrestling is not better. Usman dominated Leon for 4 rounds in the 2nd fight easily.
The third fight played out that way for many reasons but specifically 2 reasons for me - 
1. In a lot of crucial moments Leon used dark arts. Grabbing gloves, low blows, grabbing cage, all of those things stopped Usman from getting good positions after he timed his initial attacks well.
2. Head kick threat. A shot like that is something you don't want to eat again, so Usman was a lot more passive and tried to defend better, he could see Leon was just waiting for him to charge and counter him with a kick.
But in this fight, Colby also uses dark arts so it will be interesting.

Kniferusty
Kniferusty
  • Predictions:  744  |  77.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,229
  • Post Score: 184

12.13.2023 | 10:44 PM ET

Predictions: 2 of 3 Winners, 1 Perfect, 150 Points   |   Tied for 6049th

@Calfoth 
lol damn ya got me

"All my picks are backed by some type of real money wager. When I bet the house - I now have two houses"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,828  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,640
  • Post Score: 261

12.13.2023 | 10:45 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 4379th

I wouldn’t be surprise if Garry still fighting and Chael talking ****???

No other sources has said Garry isn’t fighting 

"Quack quack quack"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,711  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  32,865
  • Post Score: 90

12.13.2023 | 10:54 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 2636th

Garry is out. He has pneumonia per dana

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

spiderdijon
spiderdijon

12.13.2023 | 10:55 PM ET

@DamienHandel420 
wouldn't be the first time but than again if it's true UFC probably instructed Garry not to say anything while they are figuring it out while Chael is being Chael. 

spiderdijon
spiderdijon

12.13.2023 | 10:57 PM ET

guess Thug Nasty is being bumped to the main card

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  872  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  751
  • Post Score: 70

12.13.2023 | 10:59 PM ET

LOL

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 4223rd

LOL

"He's Terrence Thornton, I'm Terrence Crawford, yeah i'm whooping feet"

Bling Bling Boy
Bling Bling Boy

12.13.2023 | 11:10 PM ET

Colby - Leon

@expertanalyst Im not saying Colby did anything to Usman with his wrestling, that literally doesn’t matter. The point is that Colby is a lot faster fighter than usman, pace, striking n wrestling. All faster. He has more volume, shoots faster, n is LIGHT 
on his feet. Will make all the difference this Saturday. 

"20$ is 20$"

Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.13.2023 | 11:15 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

Garry ducked, wow. Strickland really got in his head huh.
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 6 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 2 minutes from now.
UncleSocrates
UncleSocrates
  • Predictions:  1,094  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  188
  • Post Score: 177

12.13.2023 | 11:18 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 563rd

The trajectory of Garry this year has been wild

"."

Calfoth
Calfoth
  • Predictions:  3,429  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,973
  • Post Score: 171

12.13.2023 | 11:19 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 765th

Time for belal to put that money where his mouth is and step up for a fight 

"POUND FOR POUND, HEADSHOT, DEAD - Leon Edwards "

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,711  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  32,865
  • Post Score: 90

12.13.2023 | 11:21 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 2636th

Holland is asking for the fight 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Page 25

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 302 post-event facts: Islam Makhachev joins exclusive club with 14-fight winning streak
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Better or worse? UFC 302 winners grade the new UFC gloves
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland breaks down armbar finish of Michal Oleksiejczuk at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Jailton Almeida wants UFC main event fight vs. Ciryl Gane in Paris: 'I can see myself finishing him'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch epic promo for UFC 303: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler
  • Jits Magazine : Tainan Dalpra Diqualified From IBJJF World Championship 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Dustin Poirier after UFC 302 title loss?
  • MMAFighting.com : Kevin Holland ‘heard the pop’ during nasty arm break on Michal Oleksiejczuk at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Can Still Compete With These Guys’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Today Islam grew a lot': Khabib Nurmagomedov praises Makhachev's performance at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Frustrated Paulo Costa vows to bring back old style after UFC 302 loss: ‘F*ck points or conserving energy’
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Islam Makhachev after UFC 302 title defense?
  • MMA Mania : Mak Reacts To White’s P4P Demotion
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland vows to wait ‘as long as it takes’ for title shot after UFC 302, slams inactive fighters
  • MMA Junkie : If Dustin Poirier doesn't retire, ex-champ Alexander Volkanovski wants 'a little dance' after UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski calls for ‘massive fight’ with Dustin Poirier after UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland plans to wait for UFC title shot: 'I f*cking paid my f*cking dues'
  • Middle Easy : Alexander Volkanovski Calls Out Dustin Poirier For A ‘Massive’ Fight While Waiting For Featherweight Title Shot
  • MMA Mania : Hot Mic: Khabib Tells Trump ‘Stop The War’